Sunday, June 12, 2005

Day -21: Packing

The good thing about packing my backpack is that this time I know what to take. My first trip hiking the Trail was a lot of trial and error. I started off with different items in my backpack than what I had when I ended. I was able to finish packing my pack today. What exactly do you take on a 3-month hike?
  • Tent (North Face 2-person)
  • Therma-Rest & Fleece Sleeping Bag (for summer)
  • Stove & Fuel (MSR Dragonfly)
  • Pot & Spoon (only a spoon is needed...no need for a fork)
  • Clothing (1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, 2 shirts, 1 tank-top, 3 pairs of socks, 4 pairs of underwear, rain jacket, & fleece)
  • Platypus, Nalgene & Water Filter (PUR Hiker)
  • Rope (for hanging food bag in a tree so bears can't get at it)
  • Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, mini-brush, and wetnaps...there is nothing like a wetnap bath when you haven't showered for 5 days to make you feel like a million bucks)
  • First Aid Kit (moleskin for blisters, alcohol wipes, & lots of Vitamin I...a.k.a. Ibuprofin)
  • Georgia Chrome (a.k.a. Duct Tape...can be used for anything & everything)
  • Headlamp & Pocket Knife
  • Trail Data Book & Maps
  • Pepper Spray & Whistle (in case I run into any shady characters...animals or humans)
  • Journal (I keep a journal and write in it every day on the Trail...many of my blog postings will be excerpts from my journal)
  • Trekking Poles & Knee Braces (only way my legs will move...along with 12 Vitamin I)
  • Digital Camera & Cell Phone (I really hope I don't fall into a river)
  • Baggies (everything is in a Ziploc bag and spares...there is nothing worse when your gear gets wet)
  • Food (currently 7 days worth)
  • Camp Shoes (flip-flops to put on after a long day's hike...very important to get out of your boots)
  • Miscellaneous Stuff (bugspray, spices for food, bandanas, hat, pack cover, etc.)

So, after I solved the puzzle and fit all of the above in my pack, I decided to weigh it. I stepped on the scale first and then again with the pack on my back...a difference of 39.4 pounds. With water, I will be carrying around 45 pounds on my back for 3 months.

I may need to reconsider taking that 4th pair of underwear...

5 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Rash said...

Wow, that's some list! No wonder you keep telling us how buff you're going to be when you get back. ;-)

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck!
1 question though: Mole skin? Isn't that what duct tape is for? :-)

I am looking forward to the updates!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Allyson Straka said...

The duct tape goes on AFTER the moleskin. Once you get all the moleskin cut and placed correctly, then you wrap your feet in duct tape. An amazing process. :)

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say hi to Kangaroo Jack for me!

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're completely packed? Allyson without Tums???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home