Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Day 32: Harper's Ferry

I am taking my zero day in Harper's Ferry today. Since they kick you out of the hostel from 9:00am to 6:00pm, I am volunteering at the ATC Headquarters. Its nice to be actually using my brain today and focusing on something.

I had a fun couple of days on the trail recently. I hung out with a group of high school age boy scouts and their troop masters. It was very entertaining to be around all their energy for several days. They were kind enough to adopt me into their group and we had a blast all hanging out and hiking together.

Here are some journal entries over the last several days:

Day 29
"Today was the first 10 miles of the 'Roller Coaster'...13.5 miles of 10 ascents and descents. Let me tell you...it was a rough day. The climbs were very steep. The boy scout troop was struggling a little bit...I felt bad for them."
"I arrived at the Bear's Den Hostel at 2:30. This place is AWESOME. It looks like a castle and it has everything you need."

Day 30
"Four of the boy scouts caught up to me about 1:00. We hiked together for the rest of the afternoon. It was entertaining. A bunch of 16-yes-old high school boys is pretty hilarious."
"The sad thing is that I find myself resorting back to high school humor. I laugh so hard at them. I'm joining in on their one-liners and such. Hey Chris...'Just kidding!!'"
"I hit 1,000 miles today!!!"

Day 31
"We arrived in Harper's Ferry at 11:00am...we hiked way too fast. We ate lunch at this cute little place in the historic area. I got a BLT, fries, a chocolate malt and a hot fudge sundae. It was really yummy."
"After lunch I had to say goodbye to my boy scout friends. I reminded them to stay in school and don't do drugs."
"I had 3 packages at the P.O. My maildrop from my mom, a package from the girls (with the MUST HAVE US Weekly magazines in it), and my boots from Vasque. The boots are really cool. I'm going to wear them all day tomorrow to start to break them in."

I am hoping to be back online in another week or two. Thanks for all the support from everyone!! I miss you all.

3 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Rash said...

Good stuff -- I especially love the updates of all the great meals you get when you're in town. Maybe I'll try to "be there in spirit" on your hike by going out and eating the same stuff. Tomorrow I'll have the chocolate malt for breakfast, the BLT and fries for lunch, and the hot fudge sundae for dinner. :-)

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hoosier mama its ralph, glad you are doing good, hope you got my email. Im glad you enjoyed the hike with us.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to go on a french fry and hot fudge sunday snack tomorrow. Like the olden days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home