Thursday, September 15, 2005

Day 73: Final Journal Excerpts

Here are some excerpts from my journal on the last 10 days of my trip:

Day 65
"I got up and went out to breakfast. Then packed up my stuff and high-tailed it out of the hostel. It took me 10 minutes to get a hitch...the longest wait yet!"
"At 5:15 I made it to 17A where there was an ice cream creamery...yummy. Gadget was there!! I met him in Delaware Water Gap and he was cool."

Day 66
"Well, today is my 27th birthday. I'm officially old. :)"
"Today was pure hell. We had so many ups and downs...it was ridiculous. By far the hardest hiking since Virginia. Constant climbs or descents. We were exhausted by the afternoon (Gadget and I hiked together today). We were going to have to hike to a road, walk 0.3 miles down a hill to fill up water and then get back on the trail and find a place to camp. About 0.1 before the road, we came to a water tower/building that had city treated water just pouring out of it. We could not believe our luck!! We filled everything up and set up camp right there. About 45 minutes after we got there, the water stopped. We were so lucky to get there and fill everything up. It made our day!!"

Day 67
"Lots more climbs today. Our last climb was up Bear Mountain. There were soda machines at the top...so awesome. You could see the New York City skyline in the distance. It was really cool."
"At the bottom of the mountain, the trail goes right through a zoo. They had a bobcat, coyotes, and even a bear...and it was HUGE. It renewed my fear of bears. Would not want to wake up with that thing in my tent."

Day 68
"We didn't finish up with the internet and get back on the trail until 11:30, so we decided to make it a short day. Plus, my pack was well over 50 pounds...the heaviest yet but that warm sleeping bag will be worth it that I got in my maildrop."

Day 69
"It was so warm and toasty last night in my sleeping bag...I love it!! Totally worth the extra weight."
"Right before we were going to stop for lunch, I walk up to Gadget talking to an older hiker. We talked about water sources and such. Then Gadget happens to ask the guy where he was from...the conversation goes...
Hiker: "Michigan"
Me: "Where in Michigan?"
Hiker: "Muskegon"
Me: "My dad lived in Muskegon for a couple of years."
Hiker: "Yeah? What's his name?"
Me: "Randy Straka. He worked for a company called Lorin Industries."
Hiker: "I'm Buzz."
Me: "OH...MY...GOD!"

It was my dad's boss at Lorin!!! I was completely floored. Dad had told me that he heard Buzz was hiking the trail, but who would have guessed I would run into him. So crazy!!"

Day 70
"We took our time hiking the 6 miles to the deli on NY 52. Gadget fell on his face and scraped up his nose. I felt bad for him and yet I couldn't stop laughing. We ate so much food and hung out at the deli for hours."

Day 71
"We were hiking by 8:30...Gadget's last day. We took a break at 7 miles and ended up taking a power nap in the sun. We then had to book it to the train station...yes, there is actually an A.T. stop on a NYC commuter train. We ate lunch there and said goodbye."
"Caught some trail magic at a road crossing...best Yoohoo I ever drank."
"Found a tick in my head tonight...first time on the trail."

Day 72
"I struggled really bad all day today. It was really hot and humid...in the 90's again. Plus, the terrain sucked. It took me until 5:00 to make it to the shelter and it was only 12 miles!!! Not sure what my deal was, but I struggled."
"I plucked a tick out of my head for the 2nd night in a row. I'm going to go back to wearing the orange bandana rather than the black Kelly Clarkson one because you are supposed to wear light colors to avoid ticks...didn't ever get one before I started wearing the Kelly Clarkson bandana. Ticks are gross!!"
"I think I'm ready to be done with this hike...starting to get burnt out."

Day 73
"Well, today was an interesting day. I dreamed about ticks all night. Had another really hot and humid day. I struggled all day and just thought of home. With the end of my trip only being a week away, I allowed myself to get excited about it. Then I was just done...ready to go home...I'm renting a car and driving home tomorrow. I am so excited to see the family!!"
"Wow, so my second A.T. journey has come to a close. It was a great experience and I had a lot of both ups and downs. I look forward to additional journeys as I hike the final 1/3 of the trail."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home